I've always picked up matchbooks whenever a restaurant/bar/hotel offers them. At first, I collected the colorful packets to display on my counter, but over the years, they served another purpose, as souvenirs from fun nights out with friends, fantastic vacations, or neighborhood spots I used to frequent. Sure I'll grab one from the jar whenever I light my favorite scented candle, but there are a few that I'll hold onto forever ...
1. La Esquina in Soho, where Steve and I rest our legs and enjoy a tasty margarita when we visit every summer.
2. The Poop Deck in Nassau, Bahamas, where my girlfriends and I had an amazing meal on vacation while in college.
3. The Second City where my family and I took in a show (only one of the two times I've been all my years here in Chicago!)
4. China Poblano in the Cosmopolitan, Las Vegas – one of my favorite meals while there for my bachelorette party last year.
5. One of the monogrammed matchbooks my parents gave as a favor at their wedding.
6. The Grand Bahia Principe, Punta Cana, where I vacationed years ago with my boyfriend of the time.
7. Tavern on the Green, where I had brunch with friends years ago in NYC – I'm glad to have enjoyed it before it closed!
8. GT Fish & Oyster, where I celebrated my 30th birthday with my best girlfriends.
9. Tilly's in Lincoln Park was around the corner from where I lived for years, but is now gone.
10. Intercontinental French Polynesia, one of the amazing resorts Steve and I enjoyed on our honeymoon in the South Seas ... and definitely a keeper from the collection.