Thursday, September 27, 2012

Basil Pesto Sauce


pesto recipe

To kickoff the autumn season last weekend, I harvested our gigantic basil plant and tried my hand at some homemade pesto sauce. I didn't know how easy making this tasty condiment was, just a few common ingredients, a whirl in the blender, and voila!

ingredients
• 3 cups fresh basil leaves
• 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
• 1/3 cup pine nuts (or walnuts)
• 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
• salt and pepper to taste


pesto recipe

recipe (makes 1 cup)
- blend basil and pine nuts (I used a handheld blender and it worked great, though I imagine a food processor would make extra smooth sauce).
- blend in garlic
- slowly add olive oil in constant stream while blending, then add grated cheese and blend.
- add pinch of salt and pepper to taste

I served with pasta and diced grilled chicken, sprinkled with a few more pine nuts. We've also been using the pesto on panini sandwiches, with everything from turkey to steak to tomatoes and mozzarella. Enjoy!

pesto recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment