Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Antique Adornments


Beth Nelson

Chicago Style

Beth Nelson

Beth Nelson

The goods:
• shirt from Gap

• denim by Emerson Fry
• vintage earrings, necklace, bracelet
• belt from Forever21
• shoes by Charles David

Vintage costume jewels are often tossed together in tubs at shops and flea markets, which makes for an exciting scavenger hunt, and rewards you well when you find that needle in the haystack. Unlike mass produced pieces, vintage baubles carry a history. I like to wonder who owned them before ... did they wear it someplace special? How would they have styled it? Of course I collect goods from all sorts of places (it's no secret Forever21 is one of my faves for affordable accessories), but wearing pieces that I worked a little harder to find and that have brought joy to others before me make an ensemble just that much more meaningful.

Some of my go-to spots for vintage adornments:
• Vintage Underground, 1834 West North Ave., Chicago
• Kane County Flea Market, St. Charles, IL
• The Vintage Bazaar, Aragon Ballroom, Chicago - next date is June 10
• Dovetail, 1452 West Chicago Ave., Chicago

No comments:

Post a Comment