Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Sunshine State


vintage postcard


Steve and I are off to the Florida Keys for a long weekend with some friends! Since it seems this frigid weather is here to stay, nothing sounds better than a hot, sunny beach. I try to fit a beach vacation in every year, and while the scenery changes, my travel staples don't. 

Below are items that I don't leave for the airport without ...



The Floridian goods: 
1. Facial Cleansing Wipes. Yes to Cucumber On the Go Facial Wipes are natural, organic cucumber and aloe wipes are great for cleaning off after surf and sand. Bonus, they're also soothing – you know, just in case I get a little too much sun – $2.99, available here

2. A Light and Airy Cover-up. I won't put up with a sunburn like I did when I was younger (and dumber). Cover-ups are perfect for looking cool {and keeping skin safe} in the hot sun. This amazing piece is inspired by 1960s and 70s vintage Indian tunics – $188, available from EmersonMade

3. Adorable (and forgiving) Swimsuit. I haven't sworn off the bikini, but I just love the retro look of this ruched halter swinsuit – $29.94, available at Old Navy

4. Some serious sunblock. I've accepted the fact that I'm too fair to ever achieve a tropical tan, and now pile this stuff on non-stop. I love the lightweight Neutrogena lotions, and Peter Thomas Roth "Uber-Dry" really does go on dry, no grease or "sunscreen" smell – available here, and here

5. Big sunglasses. Also part of my sun-protection arsenal are giant shades. Not only for eye protection ... but they sorta scream movie star – $5.80, available at Forever 21 

6. Sun hat. Sand, plus wind, plus water, don't exactly equal a great hair day  – $13.80, available at Forever 21

7. A good read for the flight and beach. Just because I'm on vacation, doesn't mean I'm abandoning my regularly scheduled Paris-daydream. David Lebovitz has a fantastic blog on Parisian food life and this wonderful book detailing his hilarious and delicious adventures – $11, available here 


1 comment: